"Under God's Power She Flourishes" is the eleventh episode of the second season of Boardwalk Empire, and the 23rd episode overall. It was written by co-executive producer Howard Korder and directed by Allen Coulter. It first aired on 4 December 2011.
Jimmy Darmody takes refuge from his grief over the murder of his wife Angela in a drug and alcohol induced haze in a hotel in Princeton. Flashbacks to 1916 depict his time attending the university. His mother Gillian comes to visit him and he takes her to a social mixer where she meets Angela, then his girlfriend. Angela tells him that she is pregnant and he agrees to move in with her and offers a jokey proposal. He drinks heavily and when Gillian is manhandled by his teacher he beats the professor up. He then takes Gillian home and falls into bed with her; the mother and son commit incest. The next day Jimmy joins the army. While Jimmy is missing his bootlegging partners threaten Mickey Doyle into paying Jimmy out of his own profits. Doyle informs Prohibition Agent Nelson Van Alden of their plans to meet and divide the profits, offering to split the whole take with Van Alden but Van Alden declines the offer. Jimmy eventually returns to Atlantic City where Gillian is coolly arranging a funeral and planning their future as a family. He flies into a rage when she tells him that his son Tommy will forget Angela in a month. He tries to strangle Gillian but is stopped by The Commodore, his father. After a struggle Jimmy kills The Commodore and falls unconscious due to his injuries. He wakes to find Richard Harrow cleaning up the scene and drifts back to sleep. He is woken again by Gillian who has brought Tommy down for reassurance. She tells him that she wants to forget what he did and promises that things will get better.
Nucky Thompson and his new attorney face multiple issues in attempting to defend against the federal investigation. Deputy Halloran and Van Alden are going to testify that Nucky ordered his brother, Sheriff Eli Thompson to murder Hans Schroeder. Eli has been offered a deal; testify against his brother and avoid the death penalty. Nucky’s servant gives them hope by telling them that Van Alden was witnessed murdering his partner by the congregation of the Shiloh Baptist Church. When Van Alden is about to be arrested he shoots a federal agent and escapes. Margaret Schroeder continues to blame her own sins for her daughter contracting polio. Her guilt drives her to argue with Nucky even as he plans to hand over his land investment to her out of fear of having it seized if he is convicted. The maid Katy uncovers Margaret’s affair with Nucky’s driver Owen Sleater. When Margaret is subpoenaed by the investigators she threatens to absolve herself through her testimony. She confronts Nucky about his involvement in her husband's death and he denies it. Nucky warns her not to act against him.
- Main article: Under God's Power She Flourishes recap
A detailed recap of the episode scene by scene.
First Appearances Edit
1. Joseph Aniska as Agent Stan Sawicki
11. Heather Lind as Katy
- Marion Harris - "Some Sweet Day" plays as Sigrid & Van Alden talk about Nelson's parents.
- Christiane Seidel - "Den Lille Ole Med Paraplyen" sung by Sigrid while she and Van Alden discusses Nelson's parents.
- Doug Gefvert - "Columbia, The Gem of the Ocean" plays while Jimmy impresses Mr. Pearson at the English literary class.
- Stadio Group - "Old Nassau" plays while Jimmy meets Angela outside the mixer
- Ehud Asherie - "Buffalo Rag" plays while Gillian flirts with students at the mixer, Angela tells Jimmy she's pregnant.
- Zsuzsu Kollar - "Nocturne No. 15 in F minor" plays as Gillian flirts with students at the mixer, Angela tells Jimmy she's pregnant, Nucky wants to talk finances with Margaret but she won't listen.
- Peerless Quartet - "The Bull-dog" plays as Jimmy beats Pearson to a pulp.
- Walter Van Brunt - "I Left Her on the Beach at Honolulu" plays as Jimmy puts Gillian to bed.
- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "Kiss Me Again" plays as Jimmy wakes up and finds Gillian is gone.
- St Vincent accompanied by Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "Make Believe" plays as Jimmy deals with tragic news(first song for Jimmy in present day)
- Idil Biret - "Mazurka No. 41 in C-sharp minor" plays as Margarets tells Nucky she wants to testify.
- Henry Burr & Albert Campbell - "Feather Your Nest" plays as Jimmy attacks Gillian and kills the Commodore.
- Charles Adams - "Silver Threads Among the Gold" plays as Richard cleans up Jimmy's mess, Jimmy wakes up to Angela's voice.
- St Vincent accompanied by Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "Make Believe" played as end credits as Gillian takes Tommy up to bed.
|#01 21||#07 Peg of Old|
|#02 Ourselves Alone||#08 Two Boats and a Lifeguard|
|#03 A Dangerous Maid||#09 Battle of the Century|
|#04 What Does the Bee Do?||#10 Georgia Peaches|
|#05 Gimcrack & Bunkum||#11 Under God's Power She Flourishes|
|#06 The Age of Reason||#12 To the Lost|