|Season 3, Episode 11|
|Air date||25 November 2012|
|Written by||Howard Korder|
|Directed by||Allen Coulter|
"A Man, A Plan..."
"Two Imposters" is the eleventh and penultimate episode of Season 3 of Boardwalk Empire, and the 35th episode overall. It was written by Executive Producer Howard Korder and directed by Allen Coulter. It premiered on 25 November 2012. The episode is set on June 22, 1923 and begins almost right in the moment when the previous episode "A Man, A Plan..." ended.
Gyp makes his move in Atlantic City, forcing Nucky and Eddie to seek refuge with Chalky. With the Artemis Club overrun by Rosetti thugs, Gillian contemplates a business future that includes an unwelcome partner. Luciano makes a deal he’ll come to regret; Harrow loses his house privileges. (HBO Publicity)
SummaryEditThe episode begins in Nucky's suite around an hour after the events of "A Man, A Plan...". Margaret and the children have left in a taxi for the train station and three of Nucky's bodyguards are carrying the crate containing Owen Sleater's body out on the service elevator. Nucky wants Eddie to tell him if he knew about Margaret's affair, and then to leave the suite for his own safety; he refuses to comply to both orders out of loyalty. In that moment three of Gyp Rosetti's thugs arrive at the suite, kill the remaining bodyguard, Garreth Murray, and wound Eddie, but Nucky manages to kill them and escape. He then drives Eddie to Saint Theresa's Hospital, and upon finding Rosetti guards there too, to Chalky White's nightclub in Chicken Bone Beach. The feverish Eddie is successfully operated on the club's kitchen table by Samuel Crawford, despite the poor conditions and he just being a medicine student.
Gyp takes over Nucky's suite (and Regina) and lays out plans to seize strategic locations in Atlantic City including Lolly's Casino and Mickey Doyle's warehouse. Upon finding a copy of one of Ragged Dick's books in Nucky's desk with a dedication from Nucky's mother, Elenore Thompson, however, Gyp decides to set his base elsewhere and moves with his men to The Artemis Club without informing Gillian, bringing Nucky's desk as a war trophy. He also lies to her saying that Nucky is dead.Meanwhile, Richard has returned to the house after spending the night out with Julia and finds Gillian in his room, checking his scrapbook. She sees the "family photo" they took at the fun fair and a line Richard wrote under reading "Not afraid of camels." When Rosetti takes over the place, Gillian orders Richard to lock Tommy in his room, but later finds Richard dressing him with the intention of taking him to Julia's home without informing her. Gillian insults Richard, calling him an incomplete man who wants to live a fantasy with a "blind" woman (Julia) and tells him that he's fired. Richard leaves the brothel and moves to a boarding house where he carefully unpacks his gun collection.
In New York City, Lucky Luciano makes a deal with men claiming to serve Stefano Magaddino, a Castellammarese bootlegger out of Buffalo, New York, to trade some of his heroin and pay this way his debt to Joe Masseria. Meyer Lansky does not trust Magaddino and wants Lucky to promise that he will not sell until the war between Nucky and Masseria is over, but Lucky lies to him and goes ahead on his own. His partner's fears are confirmed when the meeting turns out to be a setup and Luciano is arrested by the police.Nucky fails to contact Torrio, Capone or Eli in Chicago. Gyp arrives at Chicken Bone Beach and attempts to buy Nucky from Chalky with $25,000 and the promise that he won't have to pay taxes to him after he takes over the city. Chalky claims to know nothing about Nucky's whereabouts and Gyp offers the 25,000 to any man that can bring Nucky to him. With the threat of treason looming, Chalky and Dunn Purnsley drive Nucky out of the city, but he doesn't want to leave. They kill three more of Rosetti's men when they attempt to stop them, and Chalky drives Nucky to the lumber yard where Eli's eldest son Will works while Purnsley goes back to Chicken Bone Beach to recruit an army. Chalky makes Nucky promise that he will be given the spot formerly occupied by Babette's on the Boardwalk in exchange for his help. Several cars arrive not much later, some carrying African-Americans, others white men; however, instead of more of Rosetti's men they turn out to be Purnsley, Eli and Capone with reinforcements from Chicago.
The following named, recurring characters are introduced in this episode:
- Gaetano Caiozzo - a NYC cop posing as a member of Stefano Magaddino's gang.
- Sam Moceri - another undercover cop and Caiozzo's partner.
- Gareth Murray - shot by Gyp Rosetti's men.
- Three more of Nucky's bodyguards - shot by Rosetti's men.
- Six of Rosetti's men - shot by Nucky, Chalky White and Dunn Purnsley.
- Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson
- Kelly MacDonald as Margaret Thompson (credit only)
- Michael Shannon as Former Agent Nelson Van Alden a.k.a. George Mueller (credit only)
- Shea Whigham as Former Sheriff Elias "Eli" Thompson
- Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein (credit only)
- Stephen Graham as Al Capone
- Vincent Piazza as Charlie "Lucky" Luciano
- Michael Kenneth Williams as Chalky White
- Anthony Laciura as Eddie Kessler
- Paul Sparks as Mickey Doyle (credit only)
- Jack Huston as Richard Harrow
- Charlie Cox as Owen Sleater (credit only)
- Bobby Cannavale as Gyp Rosetti
- and Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody
- Anatol Yusef as Meyer Lansky
- Erik LaRay Harvey as Dunn Purnsley
- Ty Michael Robinson as Samuel Crawford
- Nick Wyman as Dr Landau
- Chris Caldovino as Tonino
- Kevin Csolak as William Thompson
- Craig Di Francia as Rosetti Soldier #6
- Jack Ferry as Garreth Murray
- Jason Furlani as Gaetano Caiozzo
- Anthony Gallo as Sam Moceri
- Paul Locke as Rosetti Thug
- Kate Loprest as Corrine
- Karl Baker Olson
- Brady & Connor Noon as Tommy Darmody
- Rocco Parente, Jr as Rosetti Thug 3
- Pat Vecchio
- KC Wright as Josephine
- Santana Draper as Chicken Bone Beach Kid
- Faron Salisbury as Nucky's Bodyguard
- Ken Sladyk as Fornicating Gangster
- Tom Stratford as Gyp's Man
- Theodore Feldman as Patient with Crutches
- Steve Fogelman as Ritz Carlton Doorman
|#01 Resolution||#07 Sunday Best|
|#02 Spaghetti and Coffee||#08 The Pony|
|#03 Bone for Tuna||#09 The Milkmaid's Lot|
|#04 Blue Bell Boy||#10 A Man, A Plan...|
|#05 You'd Be Surprised||#11 Two Imposters|
|#06 Ging Gang Goolie||#12 Margate Sands|