|"Peg of Old"|
|Season 2, Episode 7|
|Air date||6 November 2011|
|Written by||Howard Korder & Steve Kornacki & Bathsheba Doran|
|Directed by||Allen Coulter|
"The Age of Reason"
"Two Boats and a Lifeguard"
"Peg of Old" is the seventh episode of Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire, and the 19th episode overall. The episode was written by co-executive producer Howard Korder, co-producer Steve Kornacki and staff writer Bathsheba Doran. It was directed by Allen Coulter. It originally aired on 6 November 2011.
Nelson Van Alden is unable to pay Lucy Danziger for the custody of their baby as they agreed. He is also put out when a new prosecutor, Esther Randolph, takes over his office to work on the election rigging case against Nucky Thompson. Lucy goes to Nucky for help with the baby, she explains that Van Alden is the father and Nucky gives her money. Nucky uses the information in an attempt to blackmail Van Alden into spying on Rudolph. Lucy leaves the baby with Van Alden and he bonds with her. Van Alden goes to Rudolph and gives her his investigative file on Nucky.
Margaret Schroeder travels to Brooklyn to meet with her estranged family, wanting to reconnect with people who know her. She befriends her youngest sister. The visit only deepens the bitter rift with her brother, who refused to help her when she fled Ireland due to the shame of an unplanned pregnancy. She is hurt when he tells her that her family do not know her any more.
Jimmy Darmody hosts a meeting of ascendant gangsters, including Lucky Luciano and Al Capone, to discuss taking over bootlegging across the country. They convince Jimmy to order Nucky's death. Jimmy discusses his regrets about the plan with Gillian who is adamant that he stick to his decision. Jimmy goes to talk to Nucky immediately before the hit. When the gunman opens fire Nucky is shot in the hand and then rescued by the federal investigator who has been following him. Nucky's bodyguard Owen Sleater is not with him because he has gone to murder a traitor to Sinn Fein. When Margaret returns to Atlantic City she sleeps with Sleater.
- Main article: Peg of Old recap
A detailed recap of the episode scene by scene.
First Appearances Edit
- Esther Randolph, Assistant US Attorney.
- Clifford Lathrop, Investigator for the Department of Justice.
- Dick Halsey, a clerk in the Department of Justice.
- Pratt, another clerk in the Departmet of Justice.
- Eamonn Rohan, an Irish subway digger, brother of Margaret Schroeder.
- Nuala Rohan, seamtress, sister of Margaret.
- Bethany Rohan, laundry worker, sister of Margaret.
- Aylesh Rohan, the youngest sister of Margaret.
- Jack "Doc" Kearns, Jack Dempsey's manager.
- Del Grogan, a traitor to the IRA refuged in Atlantic City.
- Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson
- Michael Pitt as James "Jimmy" Darmody
- Kelly MacDonald as Margaret Schroeder
- Michael Shannon as Agent Nelson Van Alden
- Shea Whigham as Sheriff Elias "Eli" Thompson
- Aleksa Palladino as Angela Darmody (credit only)
- Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein (credit only)
- Stephen Graham as Al Capone
- Vincent Piazza as Salvatore "Lucky" Luciano AKA Charlie
- Paz de la Huerta as Lucille "Lucy" Danziger
- Michael K. Williams as Albert "Chalky" White (credit only)
- Paul Sparks as Mickey Doyle
- Jack Huston as Richard Harrow
- Anthony Laciura as Edward "Eddie" Kessler
- with Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody
- and Dabney Coleman as Commodore Louis Kaestner (credit only)
- Charlie Cox as Owen Sleater
- Julianne Nicholson as Esther Randolph
- Tony Curran as Eamonn Rohan
- Robert Clohessy as Alderman Jim Neary
- Kevin O'Rourke as Mayor Edward Bader
- Anatol Yusef as Meyer Lansky
- Nadia Alexander as Bethany Rohan
- David K. Anderson
- Joseph Aniska as Agent Stan Sawicki
- Curt Bouril as Clifford Lathrop
- Bob Braswell as Pratt
- Ralph Byers as Jack "Doc" Kearns
- Laurie Dawn as Alfreda Short
- Thomas Endres as Philadelphia Enquirer Reporter
- Shannon Garland as Nuala Rohan
- Devin Harjes as Jack Dempsey
- Mark Havlis as Cab Driver
- Emma Kenney as Aylesh Rohan
- Dave Konig as Reporter 1
- Olan Montgomery as Irish Bartender
- Nic Novicki as Carl Heely
- Thomas Philip O'Neill as Dick Halsey
- Jacqueline Pennewill as Lillian
- Tony Rossi as Reporter 2
- Gary Troy as Del Grogan
- Peter Van Wagner as Isaac Ginsburg
- Unknown as Vito Scalercio
|#01 21||#07 Peg of Old|
|#02 Ourselves Alone||#08 Two Boats and a Lifeguard|
|#03 A Dangerous Maid||#09 Battle of the Century|
|#04 What Does the Bee Do?||#10 Georgia Peaches|
|#05 Gimcrack & Bunkum||#11 Under God's Power She Flourishes|
|#06 The Age of Reason||#12 To the Lost|