- Richard Harrow, Julia Sagorsky, Tommy Darmody, Mayor Edward Bader and Atlantic County Treasurer Damien Fleming attend King Neptune's opening ceremony of summer in the beach. The ceremony is interrupted when several whiskey bottles wash up on the beach, prompting most of the presents to run to get one - King Neptune included.
- Owen Sleater promises marriage to Katy.
- Margaret Thompson tells Owen that she is pregnant with his child.
- Nucky Thompson sends Owen to New York City to kill Joe Masseria, Eli Thompson to Chicago to negotiate an alliance with Johnny Torrio and Mickey Doyle to West Overton, Pennsylvania to put back to work the Overholt distillery for US Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon. Owen refuses to have more backup than corrupt Prohibition Agent Stan Sawicki.
- The prenatal care class in Saint Theresa's Hospital is cancelled.
- Dr. Douglas Mason gives the two diaphragms she asked for to Margaret Thompson.
- Nucky asks Bill McCoy to cut a deal with Gyp Rosetti so he can provide him with information about Rosetti's operation in Tabor Heights.
- Richard Harrow gets on a fight with Paul Sagorsky, Julia's father.
- Richard and Julia consummate their relationship under the Atlantic City Boardwalk.
- The hit against Masseria fails. Owen is killed and his body is sent back to the Ritz Carlton Hotel in a crate.
In Chicago Edit
- George Mueller sells aquavit to Norwegian-run businesses in Al Capone's territory until he is apprehended by his men. Capone gives him the choice to be his mole in Dean O'Banion's camp.
In New York City Edit
- Arnold Rothstein refuses to take part in Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky's latest heroin deal on account of the climate of war between Thompson and Masseria.
- Luciano and Lansky cut an alternative deal with Joe Masseria. To seal it, they inform him that Nucky Thompson plans to move against him.
- Gaston Means manipulates Nucky Thompson and Harry Daugherty into paying $40,000 each to have Jess Smith killed. When Smith discovers his plan, however, he kills himself.
- Gyp Rosetti is informed that his supply ships lost a dozen crates of whiskey the previous night.
- Bill McCoy becomes Gyp Rosetti's supplier.
- Gyp Rosetti kills Tonino Sandrelli's cousin, Franco, for talking back to him.
In real life, Jess Smith killed himself on May 30, 1923.