|"Battle of the Century"|
|Season 2, Episode 9|
|Air date||20 November 2011|
|Written by||Steve Kornacki|
|Directed by||Brad Anderson|
"Two Boats and a Lifeguard"
"Battle of the Century" is the ninth episode of Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire, and the 21st episode overall. It was written by co-producer Steve Kornacki and was directed by Brad Anderson. It first aired on HBO on 20 November 2011.
Nucky Thompson and Owen Sleater visit Belfast, Ireland to offer the Irish Republican Army (IRA) the US Army’s surplus Thompson submachine guns. Nucky wants whiskey in exchange in order to gain funds for his own war. John McGarrigle turns down the proposal because of impending negotiations for peace with the English government. The other leaders of the IRA are less keen to end their struggle for independence and have McGarrigle assassinated allowing them to accept Nucky’s deal. Nucky is concerned that Sleater did not make him aware of this plot and then distressed by a telegram from Margaret Schroeder. Prosecutor Esther Randolph continues to build her case against Nucky, interviewing a subordinate in the Sheriff's Office.
Margaret is horrified when her daughter, Emily, develops paralysis of her legs. Emily is diagnosed with polio and quarantined in hospital. Margaret blames her own sins for the illness and cannot stay away from Emily’s bedside.
Jimmy Darmody attempts to consolidate his newfound power in Atlantic City. He arranges to buy the transportation routes for medicinal whiskey from George Remus so that he can steal it. He meets with Waxey Gordon and informs him that Manny Horvitz is responsible for killing his men. Waxey unsuccessfully attempts to have Manny murdered and Manny is able to link the killer to Atlantic City. Chalky White orchestrates labor unrest among the African American workers of Atlantic City. Richard Harrow worries that Jimmy was mocking him when he promised that he would settle down with a woman. Jimmy denies this and the two meet willing dates at the radio broadcast of the Dempsey vs. Carpentier boxing match.
- Main article: Battle of the Century recap
A detailed recap of the episode scene by scene.
First Appearances Edit
- Bill Neilan, an IRA member.
- Daniel Fitzgerald, owner of an Irish distillery and IRA member.
- Patrick, another IRA member.
- Alfred Gordetsky, an enforcer for Waxey Gordon.
- Dr. Edward Holt, an expert on polio at the Atlantic City Children's Hospital.
- Edith Thompson, Eli Thompson's eldest daughter.
- Anne Thompson, another of Eli's daughters.
- Dermott Thompson, Eli's youngest son.
- The Ritz Carlton Hotel Food and Beverage Manager.
- Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson
- Michael Pitt as James "Jimmy" Darmody
- Kelly MacDonald as Margaret Schroeder
- Michael Shannon as Agent Nelson Van Alden (credit only)
- Shea Whigham as Sheriff Elias "Eli" Thompson
- Aleksa Palladino as Angela Darmody (credit only)
- Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein (credit only)
- Stephen Graham as Al Capone
- Vincent Piazza as Salvatore "Lucky" Luciano AKA Charlie
- Paz de la Huerta as Lucille "Lucy" Danziger (credit only)
- Michael K. Williams as Albert "Chalky" White
- Paul Sparks as Mickey Doyle
- Jack Huston as Richard Harrow
- Anthony Laciura as Edward "Eddie" Kessler (credit only)
- with Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody (credit only)
- and Dabney Coleman as Commodore Louis Kaestner (credit only)
- Charlie Cox as Owen Sleater
- William Forsythe as Manny Horvitz
- Julianne Nicholson as Esther Randolph
- Erik LaRay Harvey as Dunn Purnsley
- Ted Rooney as John McGarrigle
- Robert Clohessy as Jim Neary
- Glenn Fleshler as George Remus
- Adam Mucci as Deputy Halloran
- Nick Sandow as Waxey Gordon
- Anatol Yusef as Meyer Lansky
- Spencer Aste as Customs official 2
- Curt Bouril as Clifford Lathrop
- Peter Bradbury as Food and Beverage Manager
- Scott Burik as Alfred Gordetsky
- Richardson Desil as Franklin
- Tim Dolan as Western Union Messenger
- Josie and Lucy Gallina as Emily Schroeder
- Samuel Ray Gates as Head Chef
- Michael Halsey as Bill Neilan
- Brittney Lee Hamilton as Redhead at radio broadcast
- Joel Hatch as Dr Edward Holt
- Kevin Henderson as Dr Carl Surran
- Angus Hepburn as Daniel Fitzgerald
- Rege Lewis as Travis Elkins
- Heather Lind as Katy
- Christopher McCann as Mortician
- Edwin McDonough as Priest
- Declan and Rory McTigue as Teddy Schroeder
- Daniel O'Shea as IRA leader
- Jacqueline Pennewill as Lillian
- Charlie Plummer as Michael Thompson
- Laine Rettmer as Brunette at radio broadcast
- Ivan Sandomire as Man at butcher shop
- Isaiah Stokes as Louis
- Nisi Sturgis as June Thompson
- Lee Summers as Otis
- Justin Swain as Patrick
- Amy Warren as Pauleen
- Terence Patrick Winter as Radio commentator
- Brandon Zumsteg as Brian Thompson
- Matthew Broadley as Patrick Thompson
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 1
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 2
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 3
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 4
- Unknown as Youngest Thompson son
- Unknown as Customs official 1
|#01 21||#07 Peg of Old|
|#02 Ourselves Alone||#08 Two Boats and a Lifeguard|
|#03 A Dangerous Maid||#09 Battle of the Century|
|#04 What Does the Bee Do?||#10 Georgia Peaches|
|#05 Gimcrack & Bunkum||#11 Under God's Power She Flourishes|
|#06 The Age of Reason||#12 To the Lost|