Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Battle of the Century" is the ninth episode of Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire, and the 21st episode overall. It was written by co-producer Steve Kornacki and was directed by Brad Anderson. It first aired on HBO on 20 November 2011.
Nucky Thompson and Owen Sleater visit Belfast, Ireland to offer the Irish Republican Army (IRA) the US Army’s surplus Thompson submachine guns. Nucky wants whiskey in exchange in order to gain funds for his own war. John McGarrigle turns down the proposal because of impending negotiations for peace with the English government. The other leaders of the IRA are less keen to end their struggle for independence and have McGarrigle assassinated allowing them to accept Nucky’s deal. Nucky is concerned that Sleater did not make him aware of this plot and then distressed by a telegram from Margaret Schroeder. Prosecutor Esther Randolph continues to build her case against Nucky, interviewing a subordinate in the Sheriff's Office.
Margaret is horrified when her daughter, Emily, develops paralysis of her legs. Emily is diagnosed with polio and quarantined in hospital. Margaret blames her own sins for the illness and cannot stay away from Emily’s bedside.
Jimmy Darmody attempts to consolidate his newfound power in Atlantic City. He arranges to buy the transportation routes for medicinal whiskey from George Remus so that he can steal it. He meets with Waxey Gordon and informs him that Manny Horvitz is responsible for killing his men. Waxey unsuccessfully attempts to have Manny murdered and Manny is able to link the killer to Atlantic City. Chalky White orchestrates labor unrest among the African American workers of Atlantic City. Richard Harrow worries that Jimmy was mocking him when he promised that he would settle down with a woman. Jimmy denies this and the two meet willing dates at the radio broadcast of the Dempsey vs. Carpentier boxing match.
- Main article: Battle of the Century recap
A detailed recap of the episode scene by scene.
First Appearances Edit
- Bill Neilan, an IRA member.
- Daniel Fitzgerald, owner of an Irish distillery and IRA member.
- Patrick, another IRA member.
- Alfred Gordetsky, an enforcer for Waxey Gordon.
- Dr. Edward Holt, an expert on polio at the Atlantic City Children's Hospital.
- Edith Thompson, Eli Thompson's eldest daughter.
- Anne Thompson, another of Eli's daughters.
- Dermott Thompson, Eli's youngest son.
- The Ritz Carlton Hotel Food and Beverage Manager.
- Matthew Broadley as Patrick Thompson
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 1
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 2
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 3
- Unknown as Thompson daughter 4
- Unknown as Youngest Thompson son
- Unknown as Customs official 1
- APM studio musicians - "Invention No. 8" plays as Margaret gets a telegram from Nucky and Emily won't get out of bed.
- Joseph Payne - "Voluntary in G" plays as Nucky offers to sell guns to McGarrigle in exchange for Irish whiskey.
- Martha Wainwright accompanied by Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "All By Myself" plays as Randolph and Lathrop discusses Nucky's case in bed.
- Na Fili & Tomas O'Canainn - "Cis Liathain is Maith Le Nora" played as end credits simultaneously as the announcer of the boxing match is commenting on the match.
|#01 21||#07 Peg of Old|
|#02 Ourselves Alone||#08 Two Boats and a Lifeguard|
|#03 A Dangerous Maid||#09 Battle of the Century|
|#04 What Does the Bee Do?||#10 Georgia Peaches|
|#05 Gimcrack & Bunkum||#11 Under God's Power She Flourishes|
|#06 The Age of Reason||#12 To the Lost|