Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Anastasia" is the fourth episode of the first season of Boardwalk Empire, and the fourth episode overall. It was written by co-executive producer Lawrence Konner and supervising producer Margaret Nagle and directed by Jeremy Podeswa. It premiered on October 10, 2010.
The episode centres around Nucky celebrating his birthday and Jimmy getting settled into his new home, Chicago.
Jimmy Darmody now works for Al Capone's Chicago boss, Johnny Torrio, and lives in a brothel Torrio runs. Capone and Darmody attempt to strongarm a bar owner manager to buy his liquor from Torrio; when he is uncooperative, Capone beats him. They meet with Torrio's rival, Sheridan, and compromise on business arrangements. Torrio is more impressed by Darmody's negotiation than by Capone's brutality. One of Sheridan's men retaliates, attacking and disfiguring Jimmy's current girlfriend Pearl, a prostitute in Torrio's brothel.
In Atlantic City, as Nucky plans his "surprise" birthday party, he worries about the political impact of the murder of Chalky White's driver. Eli delivers the leader of the local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan to White, who tortures him until he is satisfied that the Klan was not involved in the killing. At Nucky's party, Senator Edge tells Nucky he will not receive expected roadbuilding funds needed to complete Atlantic City's development, which will go instead to Frank Hague.
Lucky Luciano finds Darmody's mother at his house and tells her he is looking for "James". She sees through his cover story and throws him out. Luciano follows her around for several days; she spots him, and initiates a physical relationship.
Margaret then goes to work and is directed to deliver a dress to Lucy at Nucky's party, where Nucky asks her to dance, elating her. After returning to the shop, she sees Nucky and Lucy heading for a night on the town. Upset, she then steals a dress from "Belle Femme" and goes home.
- Main article: Anastasia recap
A detailed recap of the episode scene by scene.
First Appearances Edit
- Pearl, a young prostitute at the Four Deuces.
- Frank Hague, Mayor of Jersey City.
- Walter Edge, US Senator for the State of New Jersey.
- Matteo D'Alessio, third of the D'Alessio brothers by age.
- Charlie Sheridan, an Irish-American mobster in Chicago.
- Liam, one of Sheridan's thugs.
- Regina, resident Madam at the Four Deuces.
- Scozione, bouncer at the Four Deuces.
- Joseph Earl Dinler, Great Cyclops of the Atlantic County and Cape May branch of the Ku Klux Klan.
- Billy Murray - "I'll See You in C-U-B-A" plays as Capone sneaks up on Jimmy and Pearl.
- Gypsy Queen - "Under the Double Eagle" plays as Eddie goes over guest list with Nucky.
- Paragon Ragtime Orchestra - "Whippoorwhill Dance" plays as Jimmy and Pearl open up to one another.
- Billy Murray - "K-k-k-katy" plays as Charlie Luciano goes to the Darmody House.
- The Happy Six - "By the Pyramids" Charlie watches Gillian from his car.
- Dubravka Tomsic - "Waltz No. 12 in F minor" plays as Isablle tells Margaret to deliver a gown to Lucy.
- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "Love Song Orientale"
- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "Clarinet Marmalde Blues" plays as Nucky and his guests comment on the women's vote.
- Victor Herbert - "The Wild Rose When Sweet Sixteen" plays as Jimmy and Capone have a suit fitting.
- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - "Broadway Rose" plays as Margaret delivers the dress to party.
- Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks featuring Amber Edwards - "In My Sweet Little Alice Blue Gown(Irene)" plays as Nucky and Margaret dance. Nighthawks]
- Ehud Asherie - "Take Your Time"
- "Katy Lou" Wurlitzer 153 Band Organ — "My Old Irish Rose" plays as Margaret reads the truth about anastasia, Eli infors Nucky about Chalky's torture.
- Paragon Ragtime Orchestra - "Whippoorwhill Dance"
- Vince Giordano - "Danse Exotique(from The Bal Masque)
- Dave Arch - "Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life" plays as Margaret steals lingerie from La Belle Femme.
- Charles Harrison - "Pretty Kitty Kelly" played during end credits.
- "Not while the peaches are still in season." — Gillian Darmody
The episode dropped to a 1.1 adults 18–49 rating this week from a 1.4 the week before, and lost over 800,000 average viewers from the week before.
The episode received positive reviews from critics. IGN gave the episode their highest rating up to that point with an 8.5 and said "It's amazing that the writers found a way to commit so much good storytelling into one hour of television." They also said ""Anastasia", Boardwalk's fourth episode, is so far its best, turning its criminals into sympathetic characters despite their vices and secrets, and doing so without resorting to forced or saccharine ways." TV Fanatic gave the episode 4.5/5.0 and enjoyed the transformation of Margaret. "My favorite moment of the night was Margaret's brilliant transformation into a well-spoken and intelligent character. Her change from a quiet wallflower with small ambitions came at the best time, during Nucky's party. As the Commodore repeated his enraging "test" of female intelligence and political acumen on Lucy ("You're assuming they have minds at all"), Margaret voices an informed opinion about Women's Suffrage by stating, "In most civilized countries, women are afforded that privilege."
- "Anastasia" at HBO.com
- "Anastasia" on the Internet Movie Database (IMDb)
- "Anastasia" at TV.com
- "Anastasia" at Wikipedia
|#01 Boardwalk Empire||#07 Home|
|#02 The Ivory Tower||#08 Hold Me in Paradise|
|#03 Broadway Limited||#09 Belle Femme|
|#04 Anastasia||#10 The Emerald City|
|#05 Nights in Ballygran||#11 Paris Green|
|#06 Family Limitation||#12 A Return to Normalcy|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|